Snow capped Mount Kenya, at 5199 m ( 17057 ft), is the highest mountain in Kenya and the second highest in Africa. While Batian, the highest peak, requires technical, skilled climbing ability, Lenana, 4985m, featured in our tour below, can be climbed by ‘scrambling’ and walking. However the climb even to Lenana is generally considered more challenging than sumiting Kilimanjaro. Our tour below uses what is considered the most scenic route – Chogoria.
- Climb Lenana peak of Mount Kenya, Africa’s second highest mountain.
- Trek up the Chogoria route, considered the most scenic of the commonly used routes.
- Benefit from the support of a team of guides and porters, to make your climb more enjoyable.
- The 5 day trek allows for acclimatization, crucial to your success in summiting the mountain.
- Wildlife sightings will be possible during your trek. The mountain is surrounded by a thickly forested national park.
- Tour departs daily, subject to availability, Starting and Ending in Nairobi, subject to availability.
Our driver guide will collect you from Jomo Kenyatta International Airport, Nairobi for onward transfer to Naro Moru River Lodge, close to the foothills of Mount Kenya, and the starting point of your climb.
The 3 hour road journey takes you through the lush highland area of Kenya.
Dinner and overnight at Naro Moru River Lodge.
After breakfast ,and preparation of your equipment, you depart from Naro Moru River for an onward road transfer to Nanyuki, Timau and Meru towns, before arriving at Chogoria village, from where you continue on the vehicle, through the forest gate to the road-head, (3200m). Overnight at the Gate Cliffs in 2 / 3 man tents.
After a basic breakfast, begin your ascend on the trek to Likii North Valley and camp overnight in this beautiful little valley below the subsidiary peaks of Teleki and Sendeyo, two ancient vents of the main peaks. Overnight at Liki North Camp in tents. (3990m).
After breakfast, trek along the spectacular Gorges Valley descending to the beautiful Lake Michaelson. Lunch at Vivienne. Onward trek through the magnificent castle rock’s to Minto’s Hut and overnight – “whole day hiking”.
Ascend Lenana !
Hike up through Square Tarn to climax at Point Lenana, 4985m, the third highest peak on Mount Kenya. After some time at the peak, descend gradually via Austrian Hut then down to Mackinder’s camp for overnight in Teleki Lodge at 4150m, an approximate walking time of five to six hours.
Following a quick breakfast, continue your final descend via Naro Moru Route vertical bog, arriving at the Met Station base around noon. From here you board the 4x 4 vehicles that transfer you back to Naro Moru River Lodge. Upon arrival enjoy lunch at the lodge. At 3pm you will be transferred back to Nairobi by road [ 3 hours]. Upon arrival drop off at your hotel in Nairobi or onward to the International airport as per your preference.
Day 1 : Naro Moru River Lodge
Day 2 : Camping
Day 3 : Camping
Day 4 : Camping
Day 5 : Camping
|Travel Dates||Per Person Sharing (US $)|
|03 Jan - 31 Jan 17||900|
|01 Feb - 28 Feb 17||1000||01 Mar - 31 Mar 17||900|
|01 Apr - 31 May 17||750|
|01 Jun - 30 Jun 17||900|
|01 July - 31 Oct 16||975|
|01 Nov - 15 Dec 16||800|
Tour Price Includes:
-Accommodation as specified in the itinerary on Fullboard* basis in the lodges, and on Bed & Breakfast basis in Nairobi.
- Exclusive transport in a safari tour microbus with a gameviewing roof hatch and UHF radio.
- 6 safari gamedrives for the tour.
- Services of a professional, English speaking Driver-guide including all his expenses/allowances.
- Fuel, driver and car park fees, driver's allowance.
- All park entry fees for clients, driver cum guide and vehicle.
- Bottled water in the safari vehicle - Two 500cc bottles per person per day.
- 24 hour Back Up support if required.
* Full Board basis includes 3 meals per full day starting with Lunch , ending with Breakfast.
Tour Price Excludes:
- International flight tickets and visa costs.
- Tips, drinks, laundry, calls, and all such costs of a personal nature.
- Credit Card Surcharge of 4% or Bank Transfer Fees of USD 50.
To Enquire about this Safari, tell us How many you are [ Adults / Children], required Room Plan, and your Dates of Travel - we shall reply promptly, usually before 12 hours: In case of Children please state the age at the time of Travel: